A Big Fluffy Pancake
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp malted milk powder
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup full fat yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 2 eggs separated
- 3 Tbsp melted butter cooled slightly
- 1 Tbsp butter for cooking the pancake
- Maple syrup for serving
- Salted butter for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large bowl whisk flour, cornmeal, milk powder, baking powder, and salt until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk buttermilk, yogurt, vanilla, and egg YOLKS until smooth.
- In a separate medium bowl, whip egg WHITES until medium peaks form.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just barely combined. Stir in melted butter. Don’t over mix!
- Gently fold in egg whites. Let the batter rest for 10 minutes before cooking.
- Heat a 10 inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat until hot. Add in the 1 Tbsp of butter and coat the pan. *
- Pour in batter and cook over medium low for 2-4 minutes just until the edges start to set and you can see a small amount of light browning happening when you take a little peak underneath. It will continue to brown on the bottom in the oven, so you want to be careful not to cook it too much in this step so it doesn't end up burning!
- Transfer pancake to the oven and cook until set, about 13-15 minutes.
- Once cooked, use a spatula to make sure the pancake is loose from the pan.
- Carefully invert the pancake to a large plate.
- Serve topped with maple syrup and salted butter.
*A 12 inch skillet will also work, it will just be a touch thinner and take a little less time in the oven!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!