Arugula and Pea Pasta with Burrata
- 1 Large pot
- 1 Large skillet
- 1 Blender
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 7 oz baby arugula
- 5 oz fresh peas or frozen and thawed work great too!*
- Zest of 1 lemon plus more for serving
- 2 cloves of garlic smashed
- 2 anchovies
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup grated pecorino romano plus more for serving
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 lb. calamarata pasta or pasta shape of choice
- Burrata at room temperature, for serving if desired
- Lemon zest, freshly ground black pepper, and extra virgin olive oil for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- Once water is boiling, season heavily with salt. Prepare a large bowl with an ice bath.
- Blanch arugula in the boiling water for 30 seconds. Transfer directly to the ice bath. Once cold, squeeze all the excess liquid out of the arugula. Set aside.
- If using fresh peas, boil peas until tender, about 3-5 minutes. You want the peas soft so that they puree nicely! Once soft, transfer to the ice bath to shock. (make sure you keep the boiling water! We will use that for the pasta.)
- Transfer drained peas to a blender along with the drained arugula, lemon zest, garlic, anchovies, olive oil, pecorino, and cold water. Blend until completely smooth. Blend, blend, blend! Season with salt and pepper as needed. Set aside. Drop pasta into the same boiling water from the arugula/peas and cook until al dente.
- Once al dente, strain pasta and add to a large skillet over low heat, along with a touch of pasta water. Pour in green sauce. Toss to combine, adding more pasta water as needed to create a nicely coated pasta.
- Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve pasta topped with some burrata, garnished with lemon zest, black pepper, a drizzle of EVOO, and more pecorino.
*If using frozen and thawed peas, just skip the boiling of the peas part of the recipe and proceed
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Very good recipe!!! The steps were quite easy to follow and the resulting meal was very good. Great when you want an elevated meal without spending 2+ hrs in the kitchen. I was nervous about how the arugula would taste as part of the base for the sauce but the peas and other ingredients balanced it nicely. The burrata went well with this (I love when a recipe gives me a reason to use it!). Please keep making recipes <3
Amazing recipe! One of my fave dishes I’ve ever made. I could eat this every day! This was my first cafe hailee recipe and I can’t wait to make more
The arugula pea pasta is simply divine. Exceeded expectations. Meets bougie restaurant standards.
Me and my fiancé tried this tonight and we loved it! We’re both lactose intolerant so we opted out of the cheese. We also used spinach instead of arugula and it still turned out just as good! Going to have to try it again with the arugula