Asparagus and Ricotta Sheet Pan Pizza
Makes 1 half sheet pan pie (13”x18”) Serves 6-8
- Large Bowl
- Plastic wrap
- Pizza stone (if you have it)
- Half sheet pan
- 500 g bread flour
- 390 g room temperature water
- 10 g kosher salt
- 3 g instant yeast I like SAF instant brand
- Olive oil for greasing
- Softened butter for greasing
- 12 oz whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 garlic clove grated
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 lemon zested
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 14-16 oz whole milk low moisture mozzarella shredded (you can really add as much cheese as you like)
- ¼ cup freshly grated pecorino romano plus more for serving
- 1 bunch of asparagus tough ends trimmed, bottoms thinly sliced and tops cut in half
- 1 bunch scallions charred*
- Hot honey for drizzling
- Lemon zest and lemon juice for topping
- Red pepper flakes if desired
- The day before you want to make the pizza: prepare the dough. In a large bowl, mix bread flour, water, salt and yeast together until fully combined. Cover and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and fold the dough by pulling up each side of the dough and folding them into the center.
- Cover and let rest another 30 minutes. Repeat folding process from step 2.
- Drizzle the top of the dough with a bit of olive oil and cover with plastic wrap. Transfer to the fridge to rest overnight. **
- The next day, when you are ready to bake: Arrange a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 500F along with a pizza stone (if you have it).
- Grease a half sheet pan very well with butter and oil all over. Place dough on the tray and press/stretch dough out as far as you can. It won’t fit the entire sheet tray at this point. Oil the top and place a sheet of plastic wrap on top of the dough. Let dough rest 30-45 minutes at room temperature.
- While dough relaxes, prepare the ricotta. In a medium bowl add ricotta, garlic, parsley, basil, and lemon zest and mix until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- After the dough has rested, press/stretch out again, this time to fill out the entire tray.
- Spread the ricotta evenly over the dough. Top with both cheeses and asparagus all over.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a touch of salt and pepper to season the asparagus.
- Bake in the lower third of the oven (on top of the pizza stone if you are using one) for 20-25 minutes, or until golden and bubbly.
- Top with charred scallions and hot honey. Add lemon zest and a touch of lemon juice all over. Sprinkle on some red pepper flakes and more pecorino if desired. I like to cut this pizza using scissors.***
*I char the scallions in a hot cast iron, but you can also grill them. **You can make the dough up to three days ahead and just leave it in the fridge until you are ready to make the pizza! ***After the pizza is done, I like to transfer it out of the pan, and onto a wire rack so that the crust stays nice and crisp!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!