Banana Bread with Brigadeiro
Makes 1 loafInspired by Brazilian carrot cake!
- 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt*
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 3 large very brown and ripe bananas peeled**
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 beaten eggs room temperature
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut oil melted (or canola/vegetable oil works too)
- Salted butter for serving
- 1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder sifted
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Chocolate sprinkles for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, kosher salt, and cinnamon until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash bananas (slightly chunky is good!). Add in both sugars and whisk to combine.
- Add in eggs, vanilla, and oil and mix until just combined.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until just combined. Don’t over mix!
- Transfer batter to prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean (a few moist crumbs are ok!).
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.***
- While the loaf cools, prepare the Brigadeiro.
- In a small sauce pan, add sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream, cocoa powder, butter, vanilla and salt. Cook over medium low heat, whisking/stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn, until everything is fully combined and the mixture is thickened, about 7-10 minutes. You want the mixture to be thick but still fluid.
- Let cool for 15 minutes, stirring every now and then so that a skin doesn't form.
- Pour slightly warm Brigadeiro over the cooled banana bread and garnish with chocolate sprinkles.
- I like spreading my slice with a bit of salted butter!
*If you are using fine salt, decrease this amount to ½ tsp. 1 tsp of kosher salt is not the same as 1 tsp of fine salt! **If you only have slightly ripe bananas, that aren’t fully brown yet but still want to make the bread, you can bake them at 300F for about 20-40 minutes until deeply browned. Just fully cool them before using! ***This banana bread is very tasty just as is without the topping as well 🙂
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!