Brown Butter Soda Bread
Makes 1 loaf
- Large Bowl
- Small Bowl
- 10“ cast iron pan (or 10“ cake pan)
- Medium bowl
- 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp butter browned, then chilled until hardened
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup golden raisins
Black Pepper Honey Butter
- 2 very soft sticks butter 1 cup
- ½ cup honey
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl whisk flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut chilled brown butter into flour mixture until the butter is about the size of peas.
- In a small bowl, mix buttermilk with golden raisins. Pour into flour mixture.
- Stir until a loose shaggy mixture is formed.
- Place mix onto a clean surface and knead gently to combine dough fully. (careful not to over work! This should only take abt 30 sec)
- Form into a round loaf and place onto a greased 10“ cast iron pan (or 10“ cake pan)
- Transfer to preheated oven and bake for 35-45 minutes until cooked through and deeply golden.
- While the loaf bakes, prepare the honey butter.
- Mix softened butter, honey, salt and pepper in a medium bowl to combine.
- Let soda bread cool 10-15 minutes. Serve warm with honey butter.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!