Butter Roasted Tomato Soup
Serves 4 (can be easily doubled!)
- Large baking dish
- Small pot
- 1 ½ pounds vine ripe tomatoes
- 1 leek green part removed, white part halved and washed throughly
- ½ of a medium fennel cored and roughly chopped, fronds saved for garnish
- 1 head of garlic top cut off
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock plus more if needed (veggie stock or water works too!)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Thinned creme fraiche or sour cream for serving, if desired*
- Extra virgin olive oil for serving
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Place tomatoes, leeks, fennel, and garlic in a large baking dish. Add butter and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 40-50 minutes until veggies are deeply golden and soft.
- Once roasted, transfer veggies, along with juices, to a small pot. Squeeze out garlic into the pot as well (careful the garlic will be very hot!)**
- Cover with chicken stock and add in bay leaf and paprika.
- Bring to a simmer, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and blend until smooth. Return soup to the pot over low heat.
- Stir in cream. Add additional chicken stock, if needed, to reach desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with olive oil, thinned creme fraiche, black pepper, and fennel fronds.
*You can thin using a bit of cream! **Let the garlic cool off a bit if its too hot!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!