Cheesy Baked Mashed Potatoes
- Baking dish
- Large pot
- Small sauce pot
- 4 lbs. yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 6-8 cloves garlic peeled
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter plus more for greasing the baking dish
- 6 oz fontina cheese shredded
- ¾ cup finely grated pecorino romano cheese plus more for topping
- Panko breadcrumbs for topping
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Chopped fresh chives for serving
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Grease a baking dish with butter.
- Add potatoes and garlic to a large pot and cover with about 1 inch of water.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Season with a good pinch of salt. Cook at a low gentle boil until potatoes are very tender, about 12-15 minutes. A fork should very easily go through the potato.
- While potatoes cook, add milk, cream and butter to a small sauce pot. Bring to a simmer to melt the butter and heat the milk/cream. Keep warm.
- Once fork tender, drain potatoes very well. Rice potatoes and garlic through a ricer into the same pot you boiled the potatoes in (you can also use a regular potato masher). Pour in the warm milk mixture.
- Add in both cheeses and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour potatoes into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with panko and pecorino to cover the top. Drizzle the top with olive oil all over.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Broil until golden brown.
- Serve topped with chives and more freshly cracked black pepper.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!