Cheesy Corn Casserole
- 8×8 baking dish or similar
- Medium sauté pan
- Food processor or blender
- Large Bowl
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter plus more for greasing the baking dish
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 Tbsp flour
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt to taste
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 stick 4oz, unsalted butter melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese plus 1/2 cup more for topping
- 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- Sliced scallions for serving
- Softened salted butter for serving
- Hot honey for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease an 8×8 baking dish, or similar, with butter.
- Begin by preparing the creamed corn. Heat butter in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add in corn and saute until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in flour and stir to incorporate flour with the butter and corn. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add in milk and cream and stir.
- Cook corn, stirring, until mixture is thick and creamy, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- Using a food processor or blender, blend briefly until smooth, but still a little chunky. Set aside to cool a bit.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt until combined.
- Pour in creamed corn (its ok if it is slightly warm). Add in sour cream, melted butter and egg. Mix until just incorporated.
- Fold in cheese and corn kernels.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with the extra 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until puffed and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Garnish the top with scallions.
- Serve with softened butter and drizzled with hot honey, if desired.
- If you can’t find good fresh sweet corn, frozen corn tastes/works great!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!