- Large pot
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 lbs. bone in chicken thighs or drumsticks or a combo of both
- 12 garlic cloves smashed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp whole black peppercorns
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup vinegar i used datu puti
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 ripe tomatoes chopped
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 tsp fish sauce or to taste
- Cooked jasmine rice
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add chicken skin side down and sear until golden brown and fat has rendered, about 5-6 minutes.
- Flip and cook on second side for about 2 minutes more. Remove chicken from pot.
- Add garlic, bay leaves, and black pepper to the pot. Let cook for about 1-2 minutes until aromatic.
- Add vinegar, soy sauce and oyster sauce and scrape bottom of the pan to deglaze. Return chicken to pot.
- Cover and turn heat down to medium low and cook until chicken is full cooked and tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Flip chicken every now and then during the cooking process.
- Mix tomatoes, scallions and fish sauce in a small bowl.
- Serve adobo and its sauce with jasmine rice and a bit of the tomato mixture. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!