Chicken Noodle Soup
- Large pot
- 2 ½ lbs bone in, skin on chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion medium diced
- 3 large carrots peeled and medium diced
- 3 celery stalks medium diced
- 1 fennel bulb cored, medium diced
- 1 large parsnip peeled and medium diced
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 inch piece if ginger grated
- 6 cups low sodium chicken stock homemade or store bought
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme bundled with twine if you have it!
- ½ lb. pasta shape of choice cooked
- 2 lemons zested (lemons cut into wedges for serving)
- ¼ cup each chopped fresh parsley and dill
- Lemon wedges dill, olive oil, grated pecorino romano, and black pepper, for serving
- Season chicken thighs all over with kosher salt and black pepper. Add oil to a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add chicken thighs skin side down, and sear until deeply golden, about 8-12 minutes. Flip and cook second side about 3 minutes more.
- Remove chicken to a plate and set aside. Carefully, pour off some fat if it seems like too much (around 1-2 Tbsp will be good!)
- Add onion, carrot, celery, fennel, parsnip, garlic, and ginger to the pot. Cook for about 3 minutes, just until veggies start to sweat. (they are going to cook mostly in the broth!)
- Pour in chicken stock and add in bay leaves and thyme. Return chicken to the pot. Bring mixture to a simmer.
- Simmer on low for 30-35 minutes until chicken is cooked (at least 185ºF), and vegetables are tender.
- Remove chicken, bay leaves and thyme from soup. Let chicken cool for a few minutes so you can handle it. Remove skin and discard. Shred chicken and return to soup. (you can leave the soup on low while you do this!)
- Stir in lemon zest. Season to taste with more salt and pepper.
- Stir in fresh herbs
- Add cooked pasta to each individual bowl and pour hot soup over.
- Serve topped with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, more dill, pecorino, a drizzle of olive oil, and black pepper. So comforting!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!