Chicken Tinga Tacos
- Small sauce pot
- Large pot
Quick Pickled Jalapeños
- 4 jalapeños thinly sliced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 4 bone in, skin on chicken breasts
- Kosher salt
- 1 white onion quartered
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 3 tomatillos husks removed
- 6 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 chipotles in adobo plus 1 Tbsp of its sauce
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- Corn tortillas
- 1 white onion finely chopped and rinsed
- ½ bunch cilantro chopped
- Crumbled queso fresco
- Lime wedges
- First prepare the jalapeños. Bring vinegar, salt and sugar to boil in a small sauce pot. Pour over jalapeños. Cover and let sit as you prepare the chicken. This can also be made days in advance! They just get better with time 🙂
- For the chicken, in a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Season chicken all over with salt. Place in hot pot, skin side down and cook until skin is golden brown.
- Flip and cook second side until lightly golden.
- Remove chicken from pot and set aside. Add onion, tomatoes, tomatillos, and garlic and cook until they are charred and slightly softened.
- Add in chicken stock, chipotles, oregano, and bay leaves. Return chicken to pot. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 25-35 minutes.
- Once chicken is cooked remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Remove bay leaves from pot. Blend all ingredients in pot until smooth. Reduce sauce until thick, about 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
- Remove skin and bones from the chicken and shred with two forks. Return chicken to sauce.
- Serve shredded chicken in warmed corn tortillas topped with onion, cilantro, queso fresco, pickled jalapeños, and lime wedges on the side.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!