Chipotle Mac and Cheese
- Large skillet
- Small greased baking dish
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ small onion minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 1/2-3 cups chicken stock vegetable stock or even water!
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar plus 1/4 more for topping
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack plus 1/4 more for topping
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 chipotle pepper minced, plus 1-2 Tbsp of the adobo sauce
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add in onions and garlic and cook until softened. Season with salt.
- Add in elbows and stir to coat.
- Add in about 1/3 of the chicken stock and cook over medium heat, stirring until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Repeat this process until the pasta is al dente and there is a bit of liquid remaining in the pan. You want to maintain a simmer (not a full boil) through this process so that the pasta cooks gently and all the liquid doesn’t cook off without the pasta being able to absorb it and cook through.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in cheeses until fully melted. Stir in chipotles and adobo.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Stir in cream. **
- Pour into a small greased baking dish and top with the 1/4 cup extra cheddar and monterey cheeses. Sprinkle on panko.
- Turn on broiler to high. Place mac and cheese under the broiler and broil until golden, about 5 minutes. Keep an eye on it!
*This can be doubled! Just need to use a larger pot. **Can be enjoyed at this point! The broiling steps are optional 🙂
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!