Chocolate Beet Cake with Yogurt Glaze
Makes 1 loaf
- 9×5“ loaf pan
- Large Bowl
- Medium bowl
- Wire rack
- Small Bowl
- Parchment paper
- 1 cup all purpose flour scooped and leveled
- ¼ cup dutch process cocoa powder scooped and leveled
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt diamond crystal
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar packed
- ¾ cup sunflower oil or canola
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup lightly packed or 365g finely grated peeled beets, about 2-3 small beets
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup full fat greek yogurt
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar plus more if needed
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 small beet scrubbed clean and thinly sliced on a mandolin*
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line and grease a 9×5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl sift flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs, sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla. Stir in grated beets.
- Mix wet into dry until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and spread out evenly.
- Bake for 50-65 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove loaf to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While cake cools, make the glaze. Whisk yogurt, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt in a small bowl until smooth. It may seem too dry at first, but just keep mixing, it will come together. Add additional powdered sugar if glaze seems too thin. Set aside.
- To make the beet crisps place sliced beets in an even layer on a parchment lined plate. Cover with another piece of parchment and microwave for 1-3 minutes until shrunk and crispy. They might not seem crisp at first, but when they cool they will be nice and crisp.
- Once cake is cool, pour glaze all over the top. Garnish with crushed beet crisps. In the video, I had some whole beet crisps on the top, but I don’t recommend that, as it made it hard to cut a slice…ooops!
*The beet crisps are totally optional 🙂
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!