Chopped Chicken, Kale and Date Salad
- 1 small mason jar optional
- ¼ cup pepitas
- ¼ cup chopped smoked almonds
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- ⅓ cup champagne vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 5 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp dijon
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt diamond crystal*
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 small bunch curly kale chopped
- ½ lemon zested and juiced for kale
- 1 romaine heart chopped
- 1 large celery stalk diced small
- 3 small cucumbers diced small
- 3 oz snap peas thinly sliced
- 4 medjool dates chopped
- ¼ cup sliced chives
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 ½ – 2 cups chopped chicken I used 2 breasts from a rotisserie chicken
- Avocado to serve
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix pepitas, smoked almonds, sesame, maple, olive oil, paprika, cayenne and salt.
- Spread mix out in an even layer on the prepared sheet tray. Bake for 8-12 minutes, until golden. Let cool completely (mixture will not be crunchy when still hot, but will get nice and crisp after cooling.)
- Add vinegar, oil, maple, dijon, salt and black pepper to a small jar and shake until combined (alternately whisk in a small bowl.) Set aside.
- To a large bowl add kale and massage with a touch of salt, lemon juice and zest to tenderize slightly.
- Add in romaine, celery, cucumbers, peas, dates, chives, dill and chicken. Toss with desired amount of dressing. Season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Served topped with avocado and the maple almond topping.
*if not using diamond crystal salt specifically, add salt to taste as the amount listed will not be the same for other salts
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!