Chorizo Quinoa Stuffed Squash
- Baking sheets
- Large saute pan
- Large Bowl
- 4 mini pumpkins tops cut off (careful!)
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 oz fresh chorizo casing removed if necessary
- 1 poblano small dice
- ½ yellow onion minced
- 2 small carrots small dice
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 12 oz beer of choice I used modelo!, or chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro plus more for serving
- 6 oz Monterey jack cheese divided
- Hot sauce for serving, if desired
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Coat pumpkins and tops with oil. Season with salt. Place squash, cut side down, on a lined baking sheet.
- Transfer to the oven and bake until tender and soft, 30-40 minutes.
- Remove squash from the oven, and set aside to cool slightly. Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large saute pan. Add chorizo and cook, breaking up the meat, until browned.
- Add in poblano, onion, carrots and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the veggies are almost soft.
- Deglaze pan with beer, and cook until reduced by 3/4.
- Add in quinoa and stir. Transfer filling to a large bowl. Stir in herbs and 4 oz of shredded cheese. Taste and season with more salt, if needed.
- Scoop out seeds and guts of the cooked squash, keeping as much of the squash meat in there as possible. Season the inside of the squash with just a touch of salt and pepper.
- Fill pumpkins evenly with all the filling. Set pumpkin tops aside (they are just for a cute garnish)
- Top each squash with the remaining cheese.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 10 minutes, just to heat everything up again.
- Broil until golden. Serve topped with more cilantro and hot sauce if desired.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!