Grilled Cilantro Coconut Chicken
- Medium bowl
For the chicken
- 1 13.5 fl oz can full fat coconut milk
- 3 inch piece of ginger sliced
- 6 cloves garlic smashed
- 2 shallots peeled and chopped
- 2 Thai chilis stem removed
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 limes juiced
- ½ bunch cilantro stems included, roughly chopped
- 2-3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs*
For the salad
- 2 small seedless cucumbers thinly sliced
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced
- ½ jalapeño thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- Kosher salt to salte
- Cilantro leaves
- Place everything for the marinade in a blender and blend until smooth. Reserve about 1 cup of the marinade for brushing later on. Pour remaining marinade over chicken and marinate for at least 4 hours or better overnight.
- The next day, when you are ready to cook the chicken, prepare the cucumber salad. Add cucumbers, red onion, jalapeño, rice vinegar, sugar and salt to a medium bowl. Stir to combine, and taste for seasoning. Refrigerate while you grill the chicken.
- Remove chicken from the marinade and shake off the excess. Season with a touch of salt. Grill chicken until nicely charred and cooked through (I like my chicken thighs cooked to 185ºF if using an instant read thermometer). Baste occasionally with reserved marinade throughout the cooking. If chicken is getting too dark, move to indirect heat to finishing cooking through. **
- Serve with cucumber salad, topped with cilantro leaves and enjoy!
* This makes enough marinade for up to 3 pounds of chicken but you can do less if you don’t want to make that much 🙂 **You can also broil these like I did in the video! Just remove from the broiler every now and then to brush with extra marinade.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!