Citrus Pistachio Financier
Makes 20-22 mini cakes
- Mini muffin tin or similar small mold
- Small Pan
- Small Bowl
- Medium bowl
- Wire rack
- 113 g unsalted butter plus more for greasing
- 100 g sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 tangerine or orange
- Zest of 1/2 a small grapefruit
- 100 g almond flour
- 30 g all purpose flour
- 2 g kosher salt
- 4 egg whites
- 5 g vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Finely chopped toasted salted pistachios for topping
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Grease a mini muffin tin or similar small mold with softened butter. Set aside.
- In a small pan over medium heat, add butter and melt. Once melted whisk butter continuously until the butter has browned. Keep an eye on it as this can happen quick!
- Once the butter is brown, immediately transfer to a small bowl. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, add sugar and all citrus zests. Massage sugar and zest together to combine and release oils from zest into the sugar.
- Add in almond flour, all purpose flour, and salt. Whisk until combined and there are no more almond flour clumps.
- Add in egg whites and vanilla, and mix until just moistened. Stir in brown butter until just combined. Don’t over mix!
- Fill the molds up about 3/4 of the way up. Top with pistachios.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes until puffed up and edges are golden. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or room temperature. These are great with coffee or tea!
- Store extras in an airtight container on the counter. They taste great the next day when stored this way 🙂
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!