Classic Shrimp Cocktail
Serves 4-6 (can be doubled!)
- Medium pot
- Slotted spoon
- Large Bowl
- Small Bowl
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups dry white wine of choice
- 1 medium onion quartered (you can leave the skin on)
- 1 bulb fennel cut into large chunks
- 3 celery stalks cut into large chunks (preferably the ones from the hearts that have the leaves attached)
- 1 head of garlic cut in half
- 1 lemon cut in quarters
- ½ bunch of parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp black peppercorns
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 lb. jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined (tails left on)
- ⅓ cup chili sauce
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2-3 Tbsp prepared horseradish add to taste
- 1 lemon zested
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp Sriracha more to taste
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- EVOO for drizzling
- 2 Tbsp freshly chopped chives
- Flake salt
- Lemon wedges
- Begin by preparing the cooking liquid. In a medium pot add water, wine, onion, fennel, celery, garlic, lemon, parsley, bay leaves, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Season with salt.
- Let simmer 30-45 minutes. Make sure the liquid remains at a soft simmer, as you don’t want the liquid to boil away!
- Using a slotted spoon, remove most of the large pieces of vegetables (its ok if you don’t get all the little pieces out).
- Prepare a large bowl with an ice bath.
- Bring liquid to a boil and drop in shrimp. Stir to make sure the shrimp are submerged in the liquid. Turn off the heat and cover with a lid. Cook for 3-4 minutes until shrimp are pink and cooked through. This time will vary on the size of your shrimp, just keep an eye on them! You can remove one and cut a small bit off the top to make sure they are cooked.
- Once cooked, immediately transfer to an ice bath. Once cold, strain shrimp from the water and pat dry with a paper towel. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Next prepare the sauce. Add chili sauce, ketchup, horseradish, lemon zest, lemon juice, Worcestershire, sriracha, and soy sauce to a small bowl and mix until combined.
- When ready to serve, remove shrimp from the fridge and toss with a drizzle of EVOO and fresh chives. Transfer to a chilled serving dish and sprinkle the top with a touch of flake salt. Serve with cocktail sauce and lemon wedges.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!