- 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- Pinch of salt
- 8 oz mascarpone room temperature
- 1 (13.6 oz) can coconut cream refrigerated overnight
- 2 cups very strong coffee or espresso cooled
- 3 Tbsp dark rum
- 20-24 ladyfingers
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Toasted coconut flakes for topping if desired
- In a large bowl whip egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and salt until very light in color, fluffy, and thick. It should take around 7-10 minutes.
- Add in mascarpone and whip until fluffy and the sugar is no longer grainy. Set aside.
- To another large bowl, add all the hard coconut cream from the can, leaving all the liquid in the can.
- Whip the coconut cream with an electric mixer, adding a tablespoon of the reserved coconut liquid from the can at a time, until a smooth, light and fluffy whip cream texture is achieved.
- Fold whipped coconut cream into the egg mixture.
- In a shallow dish combine coffee and rum.
- Quickly dip a lady finger in the coffee mixture and transfer to an 8×8 inch dish. Be careful not to submerge the ladyfinger for too long, as they will become over soaked and will fall apart.
- Continue dipping ladyfingers until you snugly fill the bottom of the dish. Cover with half of the cream mixture.
- Repeat with another layer of dipped ladyfingers and the remaining cream.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Just before serving dust the top with cocoa powder and sprinkle with some coconut flakes if using.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!