Coconut Turmeric Carrot Muffins
Makes 16-18 muffins
- 1 stick (4oz) unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup buttermilk room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups finely shredded carrots about 3 medium peeled carrots
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cloves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Dessicated coconut for garnish
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp carrot juice
- Pinch of a salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two muffin tins with liners (if you only have one tin that’s ok! you will just need to do two batches).
- In a small pan over medium low heat, add butter and melt.
- Whisk butter continuously until the butter has browned. Keep an eye on it as this can happen quick!
- Once the butter is brown, immediately transfer to a medium bowl. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and whisk until incorporated.
- Add in eggs and whisk until homogenous. (work quick here as the butter may be still warm and we don’t want to cook the eggs!)
- Whisk in applesauce, buttermilk and vanilla. Stir in carrots. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
- Add the wet into the dry and mix until just moistened. It’s ok if there are a few clumps. Don’t over mix 🙂
- Fold in sweetened shredded coconut.
- Fill muffin tin with batter about 2/3 of the way up. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with the desiccated coconut.
- Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes until muffins are puffed, golden, and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean (a few moist crumbs are ok!).
- Let muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While muffins cool, whisk powdered sugar, carrot juice, and salt until smooth.
- Drizzle cooled muffins with glaze and serve 🙂
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!