Creamy Broccoli Pastina
- Medium sauté pan
- Small Bowl
- Medium pot
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ cup panko
- Kosher salt to taste
- 2-3 calabrian chilis finely chopped (omit if you don’t want it spicy)
- 1 lemon zested
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup pastina
- 3 cups finely chopped broccoli florets mostly from the tops of the broccoli, saving the stems for another use, see video for cutting technique
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup packed finely grated pecorino romano plus more for serving
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream optional*
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- EVOO for serving
- Sliced fresh chives for serving
- Begin by preparing the breadcrumb garnish. In a medium saute pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add in panko and toss to coat in butter. Cook stirring constantly, until lightly golden. Transfer to a small bowl and season with salt. Stir in chilis and lemon zest. Set aside.
- For the pastina, add stock to a medium pot. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, stir in pastina. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes.
- Add in broccoli and continue to cook, stirring, until the pasta and broccoli are both cooked, about 3-4 more minutes. There should be just a little bit of liquid remaining.
- Turn off heat and quickly stir in egg yolk to prevent scrambling. Add in cheese and butter and mix until melted.
- Stir in cream if using. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with a drizzle of EVOO, more pecorino, chives and a sprinkle of the reserved breadcrumb mixture.
- The cream will make this super creamy, although not necessary! it is still very luxurious without 🙂
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!