Creamy Orzotto with Ham and Peas
- Large skillet
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 oz ham diced small
- ½ of a small onion minced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ lb. orzo
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- ½ cup finely grated pecorino romano plus more for serving
- ⅓ cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 lemon zested, plus more for serving
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- EVOO for serving
- In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat until butter is melted. Add in ham and cook until it starts to brown a bit.
- Add in onions and cook until soft and translucent. Stir in garlic and cook about 1 minute. Season with a touch of salt and pepper.
- Add in orzo and stir to coat.
- Pour in wine and cook, stirring, until almost all the wine is absorbed.
- Add in about 1/3 of the chicken stock and cook over medium low heat, stirring, until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Repeat this process until the orzo is al dente and there is a bit of liquid remaining in the pan. You want to maintain a simmer (not a full boil) through this process so that the pasta cooks gently and all the liquid doesn’t cook off without the pasta being able to absorb it and cook through.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in pecorino, mascarpone, lemon zest, and peas.
- Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with more pecorino, lemon zest, black pepper, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!