Creamy Pasta and Peas
- Large pot
- Large skillet
- 1 Tbsp olive oil plus more for garnish
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 small onion minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2-4 calabrian chilies minced (optional)
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 pound small pasta such as mini penne
- ⅔ cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup finely grated pecorino romano plus more for serving
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 lemon zested
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- While water comes to a boil, add olive oil and butter to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once butter is melted, add onions and garlic to pan and sweat until soft.
- Season onions and garlic with salt and pepper. Stir in chilies.
- Deglaze pan with white wine. Turn heat down to low while you cook pasta. (if the pan beings to dry out as you are waiting on the pasta, you can add a dash of pasta water.)
- Once water is at a boil, heavily season water with salt and drop in your pasta. Stir.
- Once pasta is al dente, add drained (reserve some pasta water) pasta to pan with the onions and garlic and stir. Add a ladle of pasta water.
- Stir in mascarpone and then pecorino. Add more pasta water if sauce becomes too thick.
- Fold in peas.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with lemon zest, black pepper, olive oil, and more pecorino cheese.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!