Eggs in Puttanesca
- 1 Large skillet
- Olive oil to coat the pan
- 3 cloves of garlic sliced
- 2 shallots sliced
- 3 anchovies
- 1 tsp chopped calabrian chilis or red pepper flakes to taste
- 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes crushed by hand
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ cup halved black olives of choice
- 2 Tbsp capers
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 eggs the sauce amount is good for either amount
- Lots of fresh parsley and basil leaves for serving
- Freshly grated pecorino if desired
- Sourdough toast for dipping
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat olive oil until hot. Add in garlic and cook until starting to brown. Add in shallots and cook until soft.
- Toss in anchovies and chilis and cook until anchovies melt. Add in tomatoes and sugar and cook until the sauce has thickened, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in olives and capers. Season to taste with salt and pepper. It may not need much salt at all as the olives and capers add saltiness.
- Make little beds the in sauce and add eggs to the beds. Season each egg with a small touch of salt and pepper.
- Cover pan and cook on low until egg whites have set and yolks are still runny. About 5-7 minutes.
- Top with lots of parsley and basil. Serve topped with pecorino, if using, and toasted bread for dipping.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!