Fried Apple Hand Pies
Makes 4 hand pies (can be doubled!)
- Large skillet
- Small Bowl
- Large cast iron skillet
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 granny smith golden delicious, or gala apples (or a combo!), peeled and medium diced
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour plus more for dusting
- 4 pieces frozen paratha or roti thawed (can be found in the freezer section of most supermarkets)
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- Demerara sugar
- Vegetable oil for frying (at least 4 cups)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Vanilla ice cream for serving
- In large skillet over medium heat, add butter and melt.
- Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, lemon, and vanilla and cook until apples are tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- While apple cook, whisk sugar and all purpose flour in a small bowl until combined.
- Add flour and sugar mixture to the apples and stir to fully incorporate the mixture. Continue to cook until the filling is thick, about 3-4 minutes.
- Let filling cool completely.
- Whisk egg and water together to make an egg wash.
- To make the hand pies: place paratha dough on a floured surface. Add about 1/3 – 1/2 cup of the cooled filling in the center of the dough. Brush egg wash around the edges of the dough.
- Fold dough over itself to form a pocket. Optional: Trim edges to make a more squared off shape.
- Crimp edges using a floured fork. Brush the top all over with egg wash and sprinkle with Demerara sugar. Repeat to form the remaining pies.
- Place pies in the freezer while you heat up the oil.
- In a large cast iron skillet (or high sided pan), pour in oil to about halfway up the sides of the pan.
- Heat oil over medium heat until hot (about 350ºF using a thermometer, you can also add bit of flour to the oil to test if its hot)
- Carefully add 2 pies to the oil and cook until golden brown all over. Flip pies if not fully submerged in oil. They should take about 5 minutes to cook. Adjust heat as necessary to maintain oil temperature.
- Remove pies from oil to a paper towel lined plate and dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!