Holiday Pesto Baked Penne
- Large pot
- Medium baking dish
- Large skillet
- Small Bowl
- 2 Tbsp olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 3 shallots sliced
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 14 oz can cherry tomatoes
- 1 lb. penne
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta
- 6 oz pesto store bought or homemade
- ½ cup parmesan cheese plus more for topping
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella sliced
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Coat a medium baking dish with olive oil.
- While water boils, prepare the sauce. In a large skillet, heat olive oil until hot. Add in shallots and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until shallots are soft and translucent.
- Stir in tomato paste, and cook until caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Deglaze with white wine. Add in canned tomatoes and break up slightly with a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Heavily season boiling water with salt. Drop in pasta and cook until al dente.
- While pasta cooks, mix ricotta and pesto together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Drain pasta and add into the sauce. Add a few splashes of pasta water and the parmesan cheese. Stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Top pasta with dollops of the ricotta mixture, sliced mozzarella, and more grated parmesan. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Broil until cheese is melted and golden.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!