Lemony Green Olive Chicken with Israeli Couscous
Makes 2-4 servings
- Oven-proof skillet
- Small Bowl
Chicken and Couscous
- 4 bone in, skin on chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 leeks cleaned, dark green parts removed, and whites thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- ¼ cup mascarpone
- Zest of 1 lemon
Olive Herb Mix
- ½ cup chopped Castelvetrano olives
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
- 3 Calabrian chilis chopped (or red pepper flakes to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Season chicken thighs generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in an oven-proof skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Sear thighs skin side down until deeply golden, about 10-12 minutes. Adjust heat as needed.
- Flip chicken and sear until brown on second side, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove thighs to a plate and set aside.
- Add leeks and garlic to the pan and cook until very soft, about 6-8 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Deglaze with white wine and cook until almost evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bay leaf and bring to a simmer. Stir in couscous.
- Return chicken thighs to skillet, skin side up.
- Transfer skillet to the preheated oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes, until the couscous and chicken are cooked. The couscous may appear a bit brown on the top, but that is ok!
- While chicken cooks, prepare the olive mixture. In a small bowl mix olives, parsley, dill, olive oil, honey, lemon zest, lemon juice and Calabrian chilis. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove skillet from oven and transfer thighs to a plate.
- Stir mascarpone and lemon zest into the couscous.
- Season couscous with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
- Serve chicken thighs and orzo with the olive herb mixture on the top/on the side.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!