- Large pot
- Slotted spoon
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 thick slices of bacon about 4 oz, cut into lardons
- 8 oz shitake mushrooms stems removed and sliced
- 2 large celery stalks diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 ½ tsp ground coriander
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup french green lentils rinsed
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh dill plus more for serving
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- EVOO for serving
- Shaved parmsean cheese for serving
- In a large pot, add olive oil and bacon. Cook over medium heat until bacon is rendered and crisp.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add in mushrooms and cook until tender and brown.
- Add in celery, carrots, onion, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook veggies until they just begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in smoked paprika, coriander, and tomato paste. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add in lentils, chicken stock, bay leaves, thyme and rosemary (tied together with twine if you have it!). Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook on low for 40-50 minutes until lentils are tender. Keep an eye on it as this time may vary from lentil to lentil.
- Turn off heat and stir in parsley, dill, and red wine vinegar.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with more dill, a drizzle of EVOO, some of the reserved bacon, and shaved parmesan cheese.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!