Linguine with Spicy Red Clam Sauce
- Large pot
- Large skillet
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 4-6 Calabrian chilis chopped
- 4-5 anchovy filets
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- ¾ cup dry white wine
- 1 28 oz can whole San Marzano tomatoes hand crushed
- 1 lb. little neck clams cleaned
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 lb. linguine
- ¼ chopped fresh parsley plus more for serving
- Extra virgin olive oil for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- While water comes to a boil, prepare the sauce. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add in sliced garlic and cook about 1 minute.
- Add in chilis and anchovies and cook, stirring, until garlic is golden and anchovies are broken down. Stir in tomato paste and cook until browned about 2 minutes.
- Deglaze with white wine and reduce by half.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes and bring sauce to a simmer.
- Once simmering, add in clams and cover the pan to steam the clams until they have opened, about 7-10 minutes. Discard any clams that do not open.
- Remove clams from the sauce and set aside. Season sauce with salt and pepper, if necessary. It may not need any salt due to the saltiness from the clams. Let sauce simmer on low as you cook the pasta.
- Season the pasta water with salt. Drop in pasta and cook until just under al dente.
- Drain pasta and add to the skillet with the tomato sauce. Stir to coat pasta with sauce and cook until pasta is done. Add splashes of pasta water as necessary.
- Stir in parsley. Add clams and stir to reheat slightly.
- Serve topped with more parsley and a drizzle of EVOO.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!