Makes 1 galette (serves 6-8)
- Large Bowl
- Plastic wrap
- Sauce pot
- Large skillet
- Baking sheet
Whole Wheat Parmesan Crust
- 1 cup all purpose flour plus more for dusting
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 sticks 8 oz unsalted butter cubed
- 6-8 Tbsp ice cold water
- 1 stick 4 oz unsalted butter
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 fennel bulb sliced
- ¼ cup white wine
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 pounds mushrooms can be any variety or a mix of many! cremini, shiitake, and oyster are all great for this.
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup sherry or white wine
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- Thinly sliced chives
- Begin by preparing the crust. In a large bowl whisk flours, cheese, salt, pepper and thyme until combined. Add in cold butter and toss to coat the cubes in flour.
- Using your hands, fork, or pastry cutter, cut the cold butter into the flour mixture, until the butter is about the size of peas.
- Add cold water a few tablespoons at a time, gently mixing after adding. The amount of water needed will vary depending on climate, flour, etc. The dough should look shaggy, but stick together when pressed with your hands.
- Transfer shaggy dough to a sheet of plastic wrap, and use the plastic wrap to press dough into a ball. Flatten into a round disk. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the soubise filling. In a sauce pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add sliced onion and fennel. Season with salt and add in white wine. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until onions and fennel are super soft, about 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and add cream. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, until most of the liquid is evaporated, about 10 minutes.**
- Blend until smooth. Set aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, cook the mushrooms. In a large skillet, heat oil. Add in mushrooms and cook until they begin to soften. Add garlic and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until mushrooms have released all their liquid. Deglaze with wine and let reduce until all the liquid is evaporated.
- Remove mushrooms from heat and let cool as you roll out the crust. Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Roll out dough into a 15” circle. Transfer dough to a lined baking sheet.
- Add half of the soubise to the center of the crust. Spread out to about an 11” inch circle.
- Top the soubise with cooled mushrooms and spread out evenly.
- Fold the edges of the crust up over the mushrooms. Whisk egg and water in a small bowl until homogenous.
- Brush crust with egg wash. Top crust with more parmesan and black pepper.
- Transfer to preheated oven and bake for 30 -40 minutes, until deep golden brown.
- Let cool 10 minutes and top with chives. Serve warm!
*Soubise recipe makes about double what you need. Save for other uses like another galette, or as a sauce for chicken! **Make sure to really cook most of the liquid out of the soubise or it may be too loose for the galette. ***All parts can be made ahead and be saved until you want to form/bake the galette.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!