Makes 1 pie
- Large Bowl
- 9×13“ aluminized steel pan
- Small sauce pan
- 330 g bread flour
- 250 g room temp water
- 2 g instant yeast
- 7 g salt
- Olive oil for oiling
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2-3 anchovy filets
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1-28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes, hand crushed
- Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella sliced
- Any of your favorite pizza toppings I used diced salami and sliced pepperoni
- Fresh basil leaves
For the dough:
- Mix flour, water and yeast together in a large bowl until homogenous.
- Let dough rest 30 minutes. Mix in salt.
- Fold dough over itself every 30 minutes for 2 hours total. (4 folds)
- After the last fold, let dough rest another 30 minutes.
- Pour dough out into an oiled 9×13 aluminized steel pan. Let rest 20 minutes in the pan.
- Wet hands and press dough out to fill the pan.
- Continue to assembly or store in fridge for later use for up to 3 days. *
For the sauce:
- In a small sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sweat until aromatic.
- Add anchovies and cook, stirring, until they melt into the oil.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook until it darkens in color, about 2 minutes.
- Add in crushed tomatoes and stir. Season with pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste.
- Let sauce simmer on low for about 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 475ºF.
- Spread 2 1/2 cups of prepared sauce over dough.
- Bake pizza for 10 minutes.
- Remove pizza from oven, and sprinkle grated cheese and lay out fresh mozzarella and any other toppings you’d like.
- Bake another 10 minutes. Turn broiler to high and broil the top to brown cheese.
- Top with fresh basil, slice and serve!
*Dough can last in fridge for up to 3 days. (you may just have to press down on the dough again before baking) **Sauce can be made ahead up to a week
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!