Roasted Garlic Jalapeño Queso
- Sheet tray
- Medium sauce pot
- Small Bowl
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2-3 jalapeños
- 1 small onion minced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 8 oz cheddar or American cheese shredded
- 8 oz Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- hot sauce to taste if desired
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- tortilla chips for serving
- Turn broiler on low. Place garlic and jalapeños on a sheet tray lined with foil.
- Broil until garlic and jalapeños are charred.
- Peel, deseed, and chop jalapeños. Smash and chop garlic.
- Add butter to medium sauce pot and turn heat to medium.
- Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add milk, reserving about 1/4 cup to make the cornstarch slurry.
- Bring milk to simmer. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with reserved milk.
- Whisk slurry into simmering milk and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk cheese into milk mixture in three additions.
- Stir in jalepenos and garlic.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and hot sauce if desired.
- Garnish with cilantro and more hot sauce if desired.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!