Spicy Creamy Penne with Sausage and Peas
Makes 4-6 servings
- Large pot
- Large skillet
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ lb. spicy Italian sausage or mild if you prefer, casing removed if necessary
- 1 4.5 oz tube tomato paste
- 2-4 Calabrian chilis chopped
- ½ cup white wine
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup packed sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 lb. penne
- ½ cup grated pecorino romano plus more for serving
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Fresh basil leaves torn
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in onions and garlic and sweat until softened.
- Add in sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned.
- Add tomato paste and cook for about 5 minutes, until it darkens in color. Stir in Calabrian chilis.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine, scraping the bottom on the pan to release yummy bits.
- Add cream and sun-dried tomatoes and stir. Let simmer on low while you cook the pasta.
- Generously salt your pasta water and drop penne into boiling water. Cook to al dente.
- Add drained pasta to pan with sauce along with splashes of pasta water.
- Stir in cheese and peas. Add more pasta water as necessary. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with topped with fresh basil and additional cheese on top if desired.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!