Sausage Shiitake Strata
- Large skillet
- Small baking dish
- Medium bowl
- Butter for greasing
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz breakfast sausage
- 8 oz shiitakes stemmed and sliced
- 1 bunch scallions thinly sliced, green and white separated
- 5 oz baby spinach
- 7 eggs
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 5 oz fontina cheese shredded
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 8 oz sourdough bread torn into about 1 inch pieces
- Grease a small baking dish with butter. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet until hot. Add in sausage and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned.
- Add in mushrooms and scallion whites. Cook until mushrooms are tender and browned. Add in spinach and cook until just wilted. Set mixture aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs until homogenous. Whisk in milk, cream, cheese, salt and pepper. Stir in half of the scallion greens, reserving the remaining for garnish.
- Add sourdough bread to the prepared baking dish and spread out evenly. Scatter sausage mixture evenly all over the bread. Pour egg mixture all over to submerge all the bread. Press down the bread to make sure it is fully submerged.
- Cover and let sit for 1 hour to allow bread to absorb the egg mixture. You can also make this up to this point, the night ahead, refrigerate, and then bake in the morning.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Bake strata, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes until eggs are set and the top is golden. Check for doneness by inserting a sharp knife in the center of the strata to make sure it is no longer liquidy/wet. Garnish with remaining sliced scallions
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!