Spiced Apple Brown Butter Muffins
Makes 16-18 muffins
- 2 Muffin tins with liners. (if you only have one tin thats ok! You will just need to do two batches).
- Medium bowl
- Small Pan
- Small Bowl
- Wire rack
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ⅓ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 stick 4oz unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
- 1 stick 4oz unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups small diced golden delicious apples about 2 apples
- 2 tsp all purpose flour
- Powdered sugar for dusting, optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line two muffin tins with liners (if you only have one tin thats ok! you will just need to do two batches).
- First prepare the crumble. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon and kosher salt. Pour in melted butter, and mix using a fork to fully incorporate the butter into the dry ingredients. Break up the mixture with the fork to create a crumble texture. Set aside.
- Next prepare the batter. In a small pan over medium low heat, add butter and melt.
- Whisk butter continuously until the butter has browned. Keep an eye on it as this can happen quick!
- Once the butter is brown, immediately transfer to a large bowl. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar to the large bowl with the browned butter and whisk until incorporated.
- Add in eggs and whisk until homogenous. (work quick here as the butter may be still warm and we don’t want to cook the egg!)
- Whisk in applesauce, buttermilk and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 3/4 cup flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
- Add dry into the wet and mix until just moistened. It’s ok if there are a few clumps. Don’t over mix 🙂
- Toss apples with 2 tsp flour. Fold apples into the batter.
- Fill muffin tin with batter about 2/3 of the way up.
- Top each muffin with a generous amount of crumble topping.
- Bake muffins for 25-30 minutes until muffins are puffed, golden, and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean (a few moist crumbs are ok!).
- Let muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove muffins to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar if desired!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!