Spicy Goat Cheese Pasta with Sausage and Peas
- Olive oil for coating the pan
- 8 oz bulk spicy Italian sausage
- 2 shallots minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 4.5oz tube tomato paste
- ½ cup dry white wine
- Chopped Calabrian chilis to taste (I did about 1 tsp)
- 1 lb. medium shells
- 2 oz mild goat cheese
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup freshly grated pecorino plus more for serving
- EVOO for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat to cook pasta.
- Meanwhile, add oil to coat a large saute pan and heat until hot. Add in sausage and brown, breaking up with the back of your spoon.
- Toss in shallots and garlic and cook until softened and translucent.
- Add chiles and tomato paste and cook until tomato paste begins to darken in color, about 2-3 minutes.
- Deglaze with wine and let reduce slightly. Turn heat to low.
- Season boiling water heavily with salt. Drop in pasta and cook until just under al dente.
- While pasta cooks, finish the sauce. Add in goat cheese, along with a few splashes of pasta water to help melt the cheese into the sauce.
- Stir in cream and season with salt and pepper. Turn heat to low as pasta finishes.
- Drain pasta and add to pan with sauce. Stir in cheese, along with splashes of pasta water to create a creamy, emulsified sauce. Fold in peas.
- Serve garnished with more grated cheese, a drizzle of EVOO and more black pepper, if desired.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
This exceeded my expectations! I thought that with such few ingredients, it would be a good red sauce, but the flavor is more complex!
SO GOOD! And easy! Left out the Calabrian chiles and used red pepper flakes. Will def make again!
So delicious! I love peas so I added an extra half cup. Definitely will be making this again!
Great recipe. Didn’t change a thing. I had never had goat cheese before, and it was a nice introduction to the flavor. And despite what the naysayers said on the TikTok vid, the peas added a really nice contrast to the richness of the cream and cheeses.
Just made this for dinner and it was so yum! Yes I put my own spin on it (i.e. I ended up only adding a little bit of pecorino and I sprinkled in some red pepper flakes) but it still turned out so great!