Sweet and Spicy Brown Butter Glazed Sweet Potatoes
- Sheet tray
- Baking dish
- Medium pan
- 5 medium sweet potatoes I like to look for longer thinner ones, cleaned
- 1 4oz stick unsalted butter
- 6 fresh sage leaves*
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 inch fresh ginger finely grated
- 2 Tbsp Crystal hot sauce or tabasco
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Wrap sweet potatoes in foil and prick with a fork. Place on a sheet tray.
- Roast until just tender. You don’t want these to be overly soft at this point, just fork tender, as we want to retain their shape. This should take around 35-45 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool until you can handle them. Reduce oven temp to 350ºF.
- Once cool enough, peel skins off sweet potatoes and cut them into thick slices (about 1.5-2 inches). Place in a baking dish and set aside.
- Next prepare the glaze. In a medium pan over medium low heat, add butter and melt. Once melted, toss in the sage.
- Whisk butter continuously until the butter has browned. Keep an eye on it as this can happen quick!
- Immediately remove butter from heat and add in maple syrup to stop the butter from continuing to brown. Remove sage leaves and set aside.
- Add in ginger, hot sauce, salt and smoked paprika. Return glaze to heat and cook until bubbling and slightly thick, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Season potatoes with a touch of salt and pepper. Pour glaze over sweet potatoes. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Broil the top to get some crispy charred parts, if desired.
- Top with fried sage and serve!
*Make sure sage leaves are completely dry! Any moisture on them can make the butter pop while browning and it can get messy/hazardous **You can prep this a day ahead all the way up to the baking part and store them in the fridge. The baking portion just might take 10-15 minutes longer as they will be cold. Just make sure you bake them until the are nice and hot.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!