Upside Down Orange Olive Oil Cake
- 9” cake pan
- Parchment paper
- Small Pan
- Large Bowl
- Medium bowl
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 3 peeled oranges sliced (1 zested before peeling and reserved for the batter)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup greek yogurt
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease an 9 inch cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a small pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar and cook until bubbling and melted.
- Pour into prepared pan. Place sliced oranges over caramel. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, olive oil, eggs, vanilla and reserved zest until combined. Whisk in yogurt.
- In a medium bowl, sift dry ingredients. Fold dry into wet until just combined. Try not to over mix!
- Pour batter over oranges and caramel.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean and the cake is nicely golden.
- Let cool in the pan 10 minutes. Run a butter knife around the edge to loosen cake from the pan. Flip out onto a serving platter.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!