Vanilla Bean Sable
Makes about 2 dozen
- Electric mixer
- Plastic wrap
- Small Bowl
- Baking sheets
- Wire rack
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean scraped
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- Demerara sugar for coating
- 6 oz desired chocolate melted (I used semi sweet, but milk would be sooo good!)
- Flake salt
- With an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar, and vanilla bean until fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add in flour and salt. Mix to combine, scraping the bowl as needed.
- Divide the dough in two. Form each half into around an 8 inch log making sure the dough is compacted.(if you don’t compact it fully, when you cut the cookies they will have hole in them!) Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Beat egg and water in a small bowl to make an egg wash. Brush all over the logs and then roll in Demerara sugar to coat.
- Cut cookies just shy of a 1/2 inch thick. Place on a lined baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes, until the cookies are set and have very slight browning around the edges.
- Let cool on pan 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, dip half of each cookie in chocolate.*
- Sprinkle with flake salt.
- Allow chocolate to set before serving.
*You can also eat these straight up! The chocolate just makes them extra decadent 🙂
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!