Whipped Caramelized Onion Sage Brown Butter
Makes about 3/4 cup of butter (can be doubled)
- Large Bowl
- Small Pan
- Small Bowl
- 1 stick 4 oz unsalted butter
- 4 fresh sage leaves*
- ¼ cup caramelized onions roughly chopped
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Prepare a large bowl with an ice bath and set aside.
- In a small pan over medium heat, add butter and melt. Once melted, toss in the sage.
- Whisk butter continuously until the butter has browned. Keep an eye on it as this can happen quick!
- Once the butter is brown, immediately transfer to a small bowl. Remove the sage leaves.
- Whisk in onions, black pepper, and salt until incorporated.
- Place small bowl with butter mixture over the large ice bath. Whisk butter mixture, constantly, until the butter becomes light in color and has a whipped consistency.
*Make sure sage leaves are completely dry! Any moisture on them can make the butter pop while browning and it can get messy/hazardous lol
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!