Whipped Rosemary Pecorino Brown Butter
Makes about 3/4 cup of butter (can be doubled)
- Large Bowl
- Small Pan
- Small Bowl
- 1 stick 4 oz unsalted butter
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary*
- 1 clove of garlic smashed
- ¼ cup freshly grated pecorino romano
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Prepare a large bowl with an ice bath and set aside.
- In a small pan over medium heat, add butter and melt. Once melted, toss in the rosemary and garlic.
- Whisk butter continuously until the butter has browned. Keep an eye on it as this can happen quick!
- Once the butter is brown, immediately transfer to a small bowl. Remove the rosemary and garlic. (you can fish out all the rosemary leaves, as I did, or you can just remove the sprig if you want some whole rosemary left in the butter)
- Place small bowl with butter mixture over the large ice bath. Whisk butter mixture, constantly, until the butter becomes light in color and has a whipped consistency.
- Fold in pecorino. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
* Make sure rosemary sprig is completely dry! Any water on it can make the butter pop while browning and it can get messy/hazardous
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!