Cheesy Baked Sage Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter plus more for greasing the baking dish
- 6 sage leaves
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Kosher salt
- 4 lbs. yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 7 cloves garlic peeled
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 6 oz fontina cheese shredded
- ¾ cup finely grated pecorino romano cheese plus more for topping
- Chopped fresh chives for serving
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Grease a baking dish with butter.
- For the breadcrumbs, add butter to a small saucepan along with sage. Brown butter over medium low heat until butter is golden and sage is fried and crispy. Remove from heat.
- Transfer sage leaves to a paper towel to drain. Add 2 Tbsp of the browned butter to a small bowl and reserve the rest for the potatoes.
- Add the panko to the 2 Tbsp of browned butter with a pinch of salt and mix to combine. Mince the fried sage and mix that in as well. Set aside.
- For the potatoes, add potatoes and garlic to a large pot and cover with about 1 inch of water.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a gentle boil. Season with a good pinch of salt. Cook at a low gentle boil until potatoes are very tender, about 12-15 minutes. A fork should very easily go through the potato.
- While potatoes cook, add milk and cream to a small sauce pot. Bring to a simmer and keep warm over low heat.
- Once fork tender, drain potatoes very well. Rice potatoes and garlic through a ricer into the same pot you boiled the potatoes in (you can also use a regular potato masher). Pour in the warm milk mixture, along with the reserved brown butter.
- Add in both cheeses and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour potatoes into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the reserved sage breadcrumbs and a touch more pecorino.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Broil until golden brown if needed.
- Serve topped with chives and more freshly cracked black pepper.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!