Cherry Pepper Buffalo Wings
- 3 lb chicken wings a combination of flats and drumettes*
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
Yogurt Blue Cheese Sauce
- ½ cup plain full-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 oz crumbled blue cheese I used Stilton
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 small clove of garlic finely grated
- 2 green onions thinly sliced (green and white parts)
- 2 Tbsp chopped celery leaves plus more for garnish
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
Cherry Pepper Buffalo Sauce
- 3 whole hot pickled cherry peppers, stems removed I like to use the red ones only for the best color!
- ¼ cup of the cherry pepper pickling liquid
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter cold and cut into 4 chunks
- Kosher salt to taste
- Carrot and celery sticks to serve
- Preheat the oven to 300 F. Line a large sheet tray with parchment and a wire rack.
- Dry all the wings completely with a paper towel. Add to a large bowl along with the baking powder, salt and paprika. Toss to evenly coat. Make sure every wing is coated.
- Place wings skin side up on the wire rack lined sheet tray.
- Bake the wings for 25 minutes. Increase the oven temperature to 450F and continue to bake for another 30 minutes. Flip the wings and cook for 5 minutes (this is just to crisp the underside of the wing a little bit!). Flip the wings one last time and bake for another 10-15 minutes.**
- While the wings bake, make the blue cheese and the buffalo sauce. For the blue cheese: mix yogurt, blue cheese, buttermilk, mayo, garlic, green onions, and celery leaves in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside in the fridge.
- For the buffalo sauce: add cherry peppers and the pickling liquid to a blender and blend until very smooth.
- Add the pepper puree to a small saucepan along with the honey. Heat over medium-low heat until the honey is melted and the sauce is bubbling, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in one chunk of cold butter at a time, whisking until melted and incorporated before adding more. Repeat until all the butter is added and melted in. Season with salt to taste. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- When the wings are done, remove them from the oven and let them sit for 5 minutes. Add them to a large bowl and toss with your desired amount of buffalo sauce (I use it all!). Place the wings on a platter and garnish with freshly cracked black pepper and torn celery leaves. Serve with the blue cheese sauce, carrots, and celery sticks on the side.
*If you cut your own wings, as I did in the video, you will need a little more than 3 lb. because you lose a little when you remove the wing tip. **All these times are based on pretty meaty wings. If your wings are smaller, the browning, high heat times will be less! Just keep an eye on them!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!