Easy apple pie filling! perfect for a pie or a fun apple pie sundae like this ☺️🍎🥧
Apple Pie Filling
Makes about 5 cups, or enough for one pie
- Large skillet
- Small Bowl
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 granny smith apples peeled and diced
- 3 golden delicious apples peeled and diced
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup fresh apple cider
- Juice of a 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp water
- In large skillet over medium heat, add butter and melt.
- Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt, vanilla, and nutmeg and stir to combine.
- Add in apple cider and lemon juice, and cook until apples are tender, about 7-9 minutes.
- While apples cook, whisk cornstarch and water in a small bowl until combined.
- Once apples are tender, and the mixture is simmering, stir in cornstarch mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly, about 2-3 minutes longer.
- Use as desired. If using for a pie, cool down filling completely before adding to the crust. You can also use this warm as a delicious ice cream topping as I did in the video. This can be used for anything you’d like 🙂
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!