Maple Apple Butter
Makes about 2 cups
- Immersion blender
- 4 ½ lbs apples such as golden delicious gala, macintosh, honey-crisp or a mix!
- 1 cup apple cider
- ½ cup maple syrup*
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- Peel and core apples. Cut into about 1/2 inch pieces.
- Add apples to a large heavy bottomed pot along with the apple cider.
- Cook on medium low, stirring occasionally, until apples are broken down and the mixture us starting to turn a light brown. (the apples won’t be totally broken down yet)
- Add in maple syrup and stir. Turn heat all the way down to low and cover. Cook covered, for 2 1/2 – 3 hours until the mixture is deep brown. Be sure to stir every 20 minutes or so to promote even browning of the apple butter.
- Once mixture is deep brown, stir in cinnamon, vanilla and salt.
- Blend with an immersion blender until smooth.**
- Let cool and store in an airtight container in the fridge!
* Once apple butter is done, before storing, taste it to see if you like the sweetness level. Depending on the apple, and how sweet you’d like it, it may need more maple. Just add to taste at this point 🙂 ** You can keep this chunky and not blend at all if desired. You can also use a traditional blender, just let the apple butter cool a bit, as the mixture will be super hot!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!