Apple Butter Frangipane Tart
Makes one tart
- 1 sheet puff pastry defrosted (I used dufour brand)
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 3-4 Granny Smith apples
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter diced small
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for serving if desired
Apple Butter Frangipane
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 3 Tbsp apple butter room temperature
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp almond flour lightly packed
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp pure almond extract
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry just so that it is a bit thinner and longer. This doesn’t have to be exact.
- Place on a parchment lined sheet tray and transfer to the freezer.
- While crust chills, prepare the frangipane. Cream the butter, apple butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in egg and mix to combine.
- Mix in almond flour, vanilla, salt, cinnamon and almond extract. Set aside.
- Whisk the 1 egg and 1 Tbsp water together to create an egg wash. Set aside.
- Peel and thinly slice apples. Add peels to a small saucepan. Set aside.
- Remove the pastry from the freezer. Score (do not cut all the way through) a 1/2 inch border around the entire piece of puff pastry. Prick the inside all over with a fork.
- Spread out the frangipane evenly over the center of the pastry (leaving the border). Top with apples by fanning the slices out in a pleasing fashion.
- Sprinkle apples evenly with the ¼ cup sugar and dot with the 2 Tbsp of cubed butter.
- Egg wash the crust all over.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until deeply golden brown, rotating the tart halfway through. Don’t be shy! This is best when baked nice and dark.
- While tart bakes, add cider to the saucepan with the apple peels. Bring to a boil and reduce cider by half, about 8-10 minutes. Add in honey and cook for another couple of minutes until syrupy. Set aside.
- Once the tart is baked, gently brush apples with the reserved cider honey syrup.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!