Apple Slices with Brown Butter Glaze
Makes 1 (9”x13”) sheet pan (1/4 sheet tray)
- 9”x13” sheet pan (aka 1/4 sheet tray) using the correct size of pan is important to have enough dough! The pan should only have about a 1 inch depth
- 2 cups all purpose flour plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter cold and cubed
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 Tbsp ice cold water*
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp packed brown sugar depending how sweet you like things
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 golden delicious apples
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter browned (warm)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp water
- Flake salt for garnish
- Begin by preparing the dough. Add flour, salt and butter to a food processor and pulse until a coarse meal is formed.**
- Add in egg yolks, vinegar, and water and pulse until the dough comes together. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and form into a ball. Cut dough in half (you can even weigh the halves to make sure they are even) and wrap each half in plastic wrap. Flatten the wrapped dough balls into discs and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While the dough chills, preheat the oven to 400 F and prepare the filling.
- Add sugar, brown sugar, flour, salt and cinnamon to a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Peel and thinly slice apples and add to the sugar mixture. Toss to coat.
- Remove one piece of dough from the fridge. On a floured surface, roll out into a rough rectangle just slightly larger than a 9”x13” pan. You want the dough to hang over the edges of the pan a bit.***
- Transfer rolled dough to the bottom of the pan and press it down so it lines the bottom and sides.
- Add in apple filling evenly over the bottom crust, along with any juices that may have accumulated in the bowl.
- Place the pan in the fridge while you roll out the top crust.
- Roll out the top crust in the same manner as the bottom.
- Remove the pan from the fridge and place top crust over the apples.
- Trim excess dough from the edges if needed, and then press the bottom and top crust together to seal.
- Prick the top with a fork a few times to vent.
- Bake on the bottom rack for 20 minutes, then transfer to the middle rack and bake for another for 20-25 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- Let cool on a wire rack while you make the glaze.
- Whisk everything for the glaze in a small bowl until smooth.
- Immediately pour glaze over the top of the warm apple slice.
- Carefully spread glaze out all over. Sprinkle with flake salt.
- Let cool until glaze has hardened and the apple slice is room temperature, at least 1 hour. Slice and serve.
*The amount of water needed will vary depending on climate, flour, etc. **You can also make this dough by hand by cutting the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry cutter, then adding in the yolks, vinegar and water and mixing until combined. **Feel free to add flour as needed under and on top of the dough while rolling so that it doesn’t stick.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!