Husk Cherry Upside Down Cake
Makes 1 9” cake
- 12 oz peeled husk cherries about 2 pints, halved
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter plus more for coating the pan
- 2 Tbsp water
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup labneh or full fat greek yogurt room temperature
- 2 eggs room temperature
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- ⅛ tsp pure almond extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour plus more for dusting the pan
- ½ cup almond flour lightly packed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Honeyed Whip Cream for serving*
- Olive oil Dressed Husk Cherries for serving if desired**
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a 9 inch round cake pan with parchment paper. Butter all over and dust flour. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, add brown sugar, butter, water, and salt. Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture is bubbling, about 3-5 minutes.
- Cover the bottom of the prepared cake pan with the brown sugar mixture. Add husk cherries evenly to cover the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- Next, prepare the batter. In a large bowl, add labneh, eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract. Whisk to combine.
- Sift flour, almond flour, baking powder, and salt over the bowl with the wet ingredients.
- Gently mix until just combined. Don’t overmix!
- Pour batter over the husk cherries.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Carefully invert the cake onto a wire rack to continue to cool. Be careful; as the syrup from the top may drip out as inverting.
- Serve slightly warm as is, with whip cream and more husk cherries tossed in olive oil, if desired.
*TO MAKE THE HONEYED WHIP CREAM: just whip some heavy cream with a touch of honey and a small pinch of salt until very soft peaks. **FOR THE OLIVE OIL HUSK CHERRIES: toss more halved husk cherries with a drizzle of olive oil and honey to taste. I highly recommend making this part too! The olive oil with the husk cherries is an amazing combo!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!