Calamarata with Mushrooms and Bacon (boscaiola)
- 6 oz bacon diced
- 10 oz mixed mushrooms of choice sliced (I used king trumpet, oyster, shitake )
- Olive oil
- 2 shallots diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 5 leaves sage minced
- 4 oz tomato paste
- 2 tsp chopped calabrian chilis or to taste
- ⅔ cup dry white wine
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 lb. calamarata pasta or short cut pasta of choice
- ½ cup grated pecorino romano plus more for serving
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lemon zested
- 3-4 tbsp grated fresh horseradish
- 1 small clove of garlic finely grated
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet or pot over medium heat. Add bacon and render until crisp, about 5-8 minutes. Remove and let drain on a paper towel. Set aside.
- Add mushrooms to bacon fat and let brown, about 8-10 minutes. Add a drizzle of olive oil if needed. Season with salt and pepper, remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add in shallots and garlic and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add in sage and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute more.
- Add tomato paste and cook until it begins to darken in color, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in chilis.
- Deglaze with wine and let reduce slightly.
- Stir in cream and season with salt and pepper. Turn heat to very low while you boil pasta.
- Season boiling water heavily with salt. Drop in pasta and cook to al dente.
- While pasta cooks, prepare the gremolata. Stir parsley, lemon zest, horseradish and grated garlic together in a small bowl. Season with a touch of salt. Set aside.
- Drain pasta (reserving a good amount of pasta water) and add to the pan with the sauce. Add in pecorino, reserved bacon and mushrooms and stir along with splashes of pasta water to create a creamy, emulsified sauce.
- Serve garnished with more grated cheese and the horseradish gremolata.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!