Chicken Paprikash Pot Pie
Makes 1 pot pie
- Deep dish pie pan or a small baking dish (The dish I used was an 8×11, but an 8×8 also works!)
- Large pot
- 2 lbs. bone in skin on chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 celery stalks small diced
- 2 carrots small diced
- 1 onion small diced
- ½ fennel bulb cored and small diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter plus more for greasing the dish
- 6 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 lemon zested
- 1 sheet homemade puff pasty or store bought (thawed)
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- Flake salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Butter either a deep dish pie pan or a small baking dish (The dish I used was an 8×11, but an 8×8 also works!)
- Season chicken thighs all over with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add in chicken thighs, skin side down, and cook until deeply brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Flip and continue to cook, adjusting heat as needed, until the chicken is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes more. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add celery, carrots, onion, fennel and garlic to the same pan with the drippings. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the veggies start to soften, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in paprika and cook for 1 minute more. Add in butter and melt.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in chicken stock and cook, stirring, until the sauce is bubbling and thick. Add in thyme and bay leaf (tied together with twine if you have it).
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, for 10 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, remove skin and bones from chicken and shred.
- Once the sauce has simmered, remove thyme and bay leaf. Stir in shredded chicken. Turn off heat.
- Add in sour cream, peas, fresh herbs, and lemon zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour filling into the prepared dish.
- Whisk egg and water together to make an egg wash.
- Roll out puff pastry if necessary to fit your dish. If you are using a pie plate, just keep the shape of the pastry square and drape it over the filling. It doesn’t have to fit perfectly, you just want the top to be fully covered.
- Brush egg wash all over the crust and sprinkle with flake salt.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden brown. Serve!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!